We are a non-sectarian, non-profit, consumer-protection group, organized in 1961, staffed entirely by volunteers, dedicated to helping members have the kind of memorial service or funeral they desire, at an affordable cost.
We do this by:
- Conducting an annual Meeting & Luncheon for members held each March and publishing an informative newsletter at least once a year.
- Providing information to consumers about their options.
- Supporting California legislation which protects the rights of consumers to exercise choice in funeral arrangements.
- Encouraging members to plan for their final arrangements and to discuss those arrangements with family members.
- Providing speakers for groups interested in learning more about the choices consumers have regarding end-of-life issues.
- Working cooperatively with other funeral consumer groups and memorial societies, which helps to bring down the cost of funerals and to improve mortuary practices.
- Conducting periodic surveys of prices at local mortuaries.
- Making agreements with participating mortuaries, to provide low-cost services to our members.
We do not provide funeral services or sell insurance or burial plots or anything else (except some low-cost pamphlets).
We seek to educate the public about options for funerals and about relevant consumer-protection legislation.
Our national organization, Funeral Consumers Alliance, has many resources which you can download on your computer. They also sell books and pamphlets, including a useful funeral planning kit, Before I Go, You Should Know for $12.
We also encourage members to consider leaving instructions for the medical care they do and do not want, by creating an Advance Health Care Directive, and to designate an agent to make health-care decisions when they are unable to make such decisions for themselves. The California Medical Association, P.O. Box 7690, San Francisco, CA 94120-7690, 1-800-882-1262, sells a very detailed kit for $5 to guide you through the process of completing an Advance Health Care Directive.